Monday, January 7, 2008

Fact of the day: Today in 1924, George Gershwin completed or started (not sure which) Rhapsody in Blue. Here are George's thoughts on composing the piece (which he
did in 5 short weeks):

"It was on the train, with its steely rhythms, its rattle-ty bang, that is so often so stimulating to a composer – I frequently hear music in the very heart of the noise... And there I suddenly heard, and even saw on paper – the complete construction of the Rhapsody, from beginning to end. No new themes came to me, but I worked on the thematic material already in my mind
and tried to conceive the composition as a whole. I heard it as a sort of musical kaleidoscope of America, of our vast melting pot, of our unduplicated national pep, of our blues, our metropolitan madness. By the time I reached Boston I had a definite plot of the piece, as distinguished
from its actual substance."

For those that have never heard this fantastic piece of American music history, here and here are parts one and two of the original recordings from the Internet Archive.




Anniversaries of births: Today Nicholas Cage is 44...I am sure that you can read my utmost excitement for this accomplished, fine actor who definitely doesn't play the same person in every single movie. But someone with entirely more nostalgia-cred has a birthday today...


Don't recognize this chap? Perhaps this will help:


Yeah, that's Dustin Diamond (aka Screech) all grown up. He's 31 years of age today.

No comments: